Year 5 Curriculum
- During this term we will be studying the book ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone’ and, after half term, 'Journey to the River Sea'. We will be using our descriptive writing skills to describe different settings and characters within the story.
- We will be developing our vocabulary using thesauri and also reading the text closely to develop understanding.
- We are recapping the year four spelling and grammar topics before moving on to the year five curriculum where we will expand our understanding of a range of punctuation and begin to use this in our writing.
- Children will be focusing on place value including numbers up to and above one million, decimal numbers and negative numbers as well as revisiting Roman numerals.
- We will continue to practice using all four operations to solve multi-step word problems.
- We will recap our work on fractions from year four and begin to develop our knowledge when subtracting and multiplying.
Autumn one: Walls and Barricades where we will focus on walls around the world and locating these on a map.
We will understand why the walls were built and if they still serve a purpose today.
Autumn two: Wild waters
We will learn how rivers are formed and the key features of a river as well as recapping the water cycle.
Autumn one: This half term in science, we will be learning about Materials and how they are used for different purposes. We will be carrying out practical experiments and writing up our findings.
Autumn two: We will look at separating materials and how the different states of matter affect whether we can separate mixtures.
- We will be learning about caring for our planet and everything that is on it. Looking at Buddhist teachings for caring for animals.
- We will be researching and learning about castles and designing our own junk model castle.
PE: These sessions are outdoors and children need to come dressed in their kit please.
- 5H- Tuesdays
- 5M- Wednesdays
- Foods and discussing and writing about our likes and dislikes.